What Is an Electric Toothbrush?
An electric toothbrush is a rechargeable toothbrush that basically does the brushing for you. There are many different types of electric toothbrushes available depending on your needs—some mimic the functions of the tools your dental hygienist uses, and others come with different functionalities such as polishing, cleaning, and whitening.
Pros of Electric Toothbrushes
- Electric toothbrushes are designed to brush your teeth using small, quick circles and not be harsh on your gums and enamel. Most dentists favor electric toothbrushes because they deliver an exceptional clean, even in those hard-to-reach spots, without the worry of damage from improper technique (a danger of a manual toothbrush).
- Although an electric toothbrush can’t do everything for your teeth (like floss them), it can help you want to brush your teeth more consistently since it’s such a neat gadget!
- Most electric toothbrushes come with timers so that you know you’re brushing for two minutes each time.
- Electric toothbrushes are especially great for children and elderly patients who may have a hard time adhering to a proper brushing technique or have difficulty gripping a manual toothbrush.
Cons of Electric Toothbrushes
- Electric toothbrushes do cost more than manual toothbrushes do, but there are less expensive options available. Do keep in mind that once you buy an electric toothbrush, it’ll likely last a few years if you take good care of it and all you’ll need to do is buy replacement brush heads!
- Frequent travelers may find it difficult to take their electric toothbrushes everywhere with them, but they can always take manual toothbrushes with them when traveling, or use an electric toothbrush that requires batteries instead of a charge.
Consult with Our Friendly Team!
If you’re considering switching to an electric toothbrush and need advice on specific brands, our team at LM Family Dentistry is here to help you find the perfect toothbrush for your smile. Contact us to schedule an appointment!