You’re not the only one whose palms get sweaty at the thought of going to the dentist. In fact, studies show that up to 75% of adults experience some sort of fear around dental visits. Dental anxiety, or odontophobia, can have a few different origins, but fortunately there are several ways to combat it. Here’s how you can manage your dental anxiety and still maintain a healthy smile!
Why Do I Have Dental Anxiety?
It’s easy to develop a fear of the dentist after you or a loved one have had a negative experience with a dentist before. Whether it was due to experiencing immense pain during or after a procedure or not receiving optimal service, one bad experience can make or break one’s outlook on going to the dentist in general. Moreover, it can be hard to feel in control when you have dental tools in your mouth and that can create unease with certain patients.
Is Dental Anxiety Curable?
Like with all types of anxiety, it’s first necessary to identify what it is about the dentist that scares you the most, and then supplant those associations with positive dental experiences. It’s always good to continually keep in mind that dentists are here to help you have the healthiest and most beautiful smile possible, and not all dentist practices are made equally. Here at LM Family Dentistry, we offer high quality care and comforting amenities that will make for a calm and relaxed experience.
Overcoming Dental Anxiety at LM Family Dentistry
At our Forney dental office, we understand how scary it can be to see a dentist when you have dental anxiety. Dr. Merchant and our team strive to make every patient feel right at home in our office.
- Take a few deep breaths, relax, and know that we will move at your own pace during your visit with us.
- We utilize advanced technology, like the Isolite® Comfort System and digital x-rays, so that you will feel as little discomfort during your time with us as possible.
- Check out our relaxing amenities, including our massaging dental chairs, pillows and blankets, and aromatherapy, to help you feel at ease.
- Pop in a pair of headphones and listen to your favorite music if you’re not a fan of the sound of dental tools!
- We proudly offer different sedation options for our patients, from nitrous oxide (or laughing gas), to oral conscious sedation and OraVerse™ numbing agent so you can choose what’s most comfortable for you.
- If finances are a deterrent, know that we welcome patients of all financial backgrounds and will work closely with you to figure out the best payment option for you and your family. We take dental insurance, cash, check, and CareCredit. Moreover, we offer discounts for patients that pay with cash (10%) or have served in the military (20%). Check our financial page for great new patient offers too!
Take Charge of Your Oral Health!
It’s time to leave the dental anxiety behind and do all you can to maintain a strong and beautiful smile. Our team at LM Family Dentistry is here to answer all your dental questions. Contact us to schedule your next cleaning and checkup.